iQmetrix Releases Smartphone Sales Stats Since iPhone 5 Launch [INFOGRAPHIC]
-- iPhone 5 Accounts for 20 Percent of Smartphones Activated in North America
Since September 21 launch --
VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Oct. 10, 2012 – iQmetrix, the leading provider of retail management software for the North American wireless industry, today released statistics on smartphones purchased since the iPhone 5’s Sept. 21 launch (Sept. 21 to Oct. 7, 2012). iQmetrix sampled data from nearly 7,000 independent wireless retailers across North America revealing year-over-year (YoY) buying trends from 2011 and 2012. (See full infographic below.)
iQmetrix collects data from its RQ cell phone store POS system, utilized by independent wireless retailers across North America to process more than 15.5 million handset transactions each year. Information gathered from this significant database provides a unique look into mobile phone, plan, add-on and accessory purchasing trends.
Key Findings (View full infographic at below)
- iOS took the lead among all smartphone operating systems, with iPhones comprising 56.7 percent of all phones sold during the 16-day period (Sept. 21 to Oct. 7, 2012). The iPhone 5, in particular, made up 20.1 percent of all phones sold. During the same period in 2011, iPhones only comprised 16.6 percent of smartphones sold.*
- Android was bumped to second place with 40.9 percent of all phones sold during the 16-day period. This is a significant drop from commanding 71.1 percent of smartphones sold during the same period in 2011.*
- BlackBerry phones consisted of only 2.0 percent (down from 11.2 percent in 2011) of the smartphones sold during the period, followed by Windows Phones at 0.5 percent (down from 1.1 percent in 2011.)
- Highest regions for iPhone 5 sales were Canada (31.7 percent of all smartphones) and the Western U.S. (24.3 percent of all smartphones). Lowest regions were the Northeastern U.S. (18.0 percent) and the Midwestern U.S. (11.6 percent).
- BlackBerry phones consisted of 11.3 percent of all smartphones sold in Canada (down from 32.3 percent last year) during the period and 2.4 percent of all smartphones sold in the Northeastern U.S. (down from 16.0 percent last year). In all other regions, BlackBerrys comprised less than 1 percent of all smartphones sold.
*YoY statistics for the iPhone captured in 2011 did not include sales data from a variety of carriers, including Verizon and Sprint, which didn’t begin carrying the iPhone until February 2011 and October 2011 respectively. To date, T-Mobile does not carry the iPhone, while Virgin Mobile and Cricket both began offering prepaid iPhone plans in June 2012.
Below is the full infographic from iQmetrix (click to expand).
An Infographic by the Team at iQmetrix Mobile POS Software
Embed this on your site - Copy The Code Below
<a href=“http://www.iqmetrix.com/wp-content/uploads/shared_images/iphone5-v3.png” target=“_blank”><img alt=“Smartphone Sales Stats Since iPhone 5 Launch” src=“https://assets.iqmetrix.com/migration/wp-content/uploads/shared_images/iphone5-v3.png” style=“width: 445px; height: 684px;”/></a>An Infographic by the Team at iQmetrix <a href=“http://www.iqmetrix.com/article/2012/10/iqmetrix-releases-smartphone-sales-stats-iphone-5-launch”>Mobile POS Software</a>’; ?>
Nadel Phelan, Inc.
iQmetrix Social Media Resources:
- iQmetrix YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iqmetrixcorp
- Blog Posts: http://www.iQmetrix.com/industry-news-and-views
- Follow @iQmetrix on Twitter: http://twitter.com/iQmetrix
At iQmetrix, we are passionate about retail. Our purpose is to create great experiences for retailers, their employees and the end consumer. Our products bridge the gap between physical and virtual retail channels, offering the latest in retail management and customer experience technology. XQ Interactive Retail brings elements of online and mobile shopping experiences into the physical store to engage and educate shoppers during the purchase process. RQ4 Retail Management is a complete system for managing all aspects of a store chain operation, including POS, ERP, inventory and HR. When integrated specifically for wireless retailers, XQ and RQ allow users to effectively manage back-of-house operations and the in-store customer experience. Founded in 1999, iQmetrix is a privately-held software as a service (SaaS) company with offices in Canada and the United States. www.iQmetrix.com