VANCOUVER, BC – Dec. 6, 2013 – iQmetrix, the leading provider of retail management software for the North American wireless industry, today released statistics on smartphones purchased during Black Friday week (Tuesday, Nov. 26 to Sunday, Dec. 1). iQmetrix sampled data from approximately 15,000 store locations across the U.S., revealing year-over-year buying trends from Black Friday 2011, 2012 and 2013. (See full infographic below.)
iQmetrix collects data from its RQ Retail Management system, utilized by independent wireless retailers across North America to process an estimated 14.5 million handset transactions each year. Information gathered from this substantial database provides a unique look into mobile phone, plan, add-on and accessory purchasing trends.
Key Findings (view full infographic below)
- Sales of Mobile Phones: The big jumps in sales were on Black Friday (up 20% YOY) and Saturday (up 36% YOY).
- OS Share (nationwide): remained relatively stable, with Windows Phone (up from 1% to 5% share YOY) taking a bit of market share from Android (down from 72% to 68%). Apple's share remained at 27% YOY.
OS Share (regional): Android dominates all regions, while Apple has the highest penetration in the Northeast (34%). Windows Phone has by far its strongest sales in the South (10%).
- Manufacturer Share: Big YOY gains made by LG (led by the G2 and Optimus Black), HTC (led by its One line) and ZTE. Motorola's share dropped significantly YOY. Apple held steady. Samsung saw a significant YOY drop.
- Phone Models: On Black Friday, the Top 5 selling phones in America were the iPhone 5s (14% of total phones sold) the Samsung Galaxy S4 (10%), the LG G2 (8%), the LG Optimus Black (8%), and the iPhone 4s (7%).
- Black Friday Shopping Hours: Shopping peaked between 9 a.m. and 12 noon this year, as opposed to afternoon peaks in 2012 and 2011.
- Cost of Phones and Accesories: went up respectively YOY, from an average of $95 and $26 in 2012 to $106 and $31 in 2013.
Below is the full infographic from iQmetrix (click to expand).
An Infographic by the Team at iQmetrix POS Software
Embed this on your site - Copy The Code Below
At iQmetrix, we are passionate about retail. Our purpose is to create great experiences for retailers, their employees and the end consumer. Our products bridge the gap between physical and virtual retail channels, offering the latest in retail management and customer experience technology. XQ Interactive Retail brings elements of online and mobile shopping experiences into the physical store to engage and educate shoppers during the purchase process. RQ Retail Management is a complete system for managing all aspects of a store chain operation, including POS, ERP, inventory and HR. When integrated specifically for wireless retailers, XQ and RQ allow users to effectively manage back-of-house operations and the in-store customer experience. Founded in 1999, iQmetrix is a privately-held software as a service (SaaS) company with offices in Canada and the United States. www.iQmetrix.com