Mobile Commerce Daily reported yesterday (April 23) on how Walgreens' app has been updated to offer more personalized and store-specific promotions to customers.
"The new Weekly Ad feature introduced allows users to create their own flagship location from which they will be able to receive more relevant offers," writes Mobile Commerce Daily's Michelle Saettler. "Walgreens joins a growing list of retailers who are betting on in-store modes to engage with consumers while shopping."
I'm impressed with the breadth of the Walgreens app's functionality. This is omnichannel.
This article jumps out at me because this is omnichannel: Making the shopping experience relevant to the customer using both mobile and in-store channels, and taking something that was traditionally limited to online (inventory transparency) offline and into customers' hands.
Other notable highlights from the Walgreens app include:
- In-store inventory: "(The) Walgreens (app) expedites a shopper’s trip by providing in and out of stock information."
- Weekly ads and coupons: "Mobile coupons were rolled out in the Walgreens app in February, and the new integration cuts down on the number of steps that consumers need to take to find and redeem coupons (see story)."
- Loyalty rewards: "Customers can earn rewards in-store, online, or through their mobile devices," Saettler writes. "The app has the common functionality of locating a store, refilling prescriptions and searching for promotions."
- Pharmacy integration: "Aside from simply refilling a prescription, customers can scan their medication label to refill, transfer pharmacies, or create a pill reminder."
- Photo finishing: "App users may also uniquely create custom photo cards, collage prints, posters and canvases that can be honored and printed at their favorite location."
Walgreens is not new to the mobile app game. Last year, the Chicago-based company won its third Webby Award, this time for its "Transfer Prescriptions" functionality, which works by taking a photo of your prescription bottles and entering relevant information like name, birth date and phone number.