The U.K.'s Guardian published an interesting panel column on Monday (Dec. 1), where three retail/marketing experts weighed in on the significance of Black Friday and Cyber Monday after the fact.
Below are their conclusions, with some accompanying quotes:
Mobile consumers are all about freedom, control and convenience.Dan Wagner, Powa Technologies
Dan Wagner, chief executive, Powa Technologies:
- "Mobile platforms empower consumers to be constantly plugged-in, compare prices and look for the best deals and bargains on an ongoing basis. It’s all about freedom, control and convenience, and it’s clear that the savvy consumer will not purchase in-store when they can get better deals and buy them with a tap on their smartphone during the year."
- "Retailers need (to) up their game and implement a long-term strategy that provides a strong, single-user experience across mobile, online and physical channels, which fits into the needs and expectations of consumers today."
The main barrier to shopping online is cost of delivery.Anne Giulianotti, GfK
Anne Giulianotti, director at GfK
Join up the experience.
- "The go-to device is the smartphone, where many people see retailer offers. Tasks requiring more thought, information or payment often require a larger screen. Retailers have the opportunity to use apps and mobile websites to support a joined up online shopping experience, regardless of the device."
- "The main barrier to shopping online is cost of delivery. Around half (47%) of adults aged 22-65 said this was why they don’t buy online. Another is fulfilment: click-and-collect could be even more convenient, expanded to more locations."
The secret formula for turing visitors into purchasers is offering a seamless user experience.Al Millen, Critical Mass
Al Millen, strategy director, Critical Mass
Don't forget about the customer experience.
- "With each retailer matching prices with one another, there’s an almost level playing field out there on price, which presents an interesting challenge for retailers to entice new shoppers to their site."
- "The secret formula for turning (visitors) into purchasers is through offering a seamless user experience. Whether it be through smart responsive web design, instant assistance with customer questions or the use of data to offer visitors the most up-to-date and relevant offers for them."