Digital Signage Today put out a fascinating infographic about the ubiquity of digital signs in our everyday lives: Check it out.
A lot of the digital signs we encounter are benign. The one on the gas pump, for example, I don't even think about. Same with the one in the office elevator. Our eyes are just naturally drawn to them and half the time, we don't even realize we're watching a digital screen. I guess that's what billboards have always been like too: things you half notice.
"Because sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words, we developed this infographic that shows, in a simple, easy-to-follow way, how digital signage really is everywhere, and how it can touch the average consumer multiple times throughout the course of her day," wrote the Digital Signage Today team. "For instance, one Arbitron study shows that 70 percent of Americans are exposed to place-based video screens every month, and 52 percent are every week."
Some other stats from the infographic:
- $1.41 billion: Digital billboards and signage revenue (23.2% increase globally)
- Global market for digital signage will grow from $1.3 billion in 2010 to almost $4.5 billion in 2016.
- Maker's Mark: A 2010 digital signage campaign in office building lobbies during pre-happy hour increased brand awareness 29% and ad awareness 83%.
- 70% of Americans see place-based video screens every month.
- 52% of Americans see place-based video screens every week.
- 4 out of 5 brands experienced a significant increase of up to 33% in sales through use of DOOH (digital out-of-home) media.
The vastness of the digital signage environment shows the targeted impact brands can make with consumers, depending on how and where they advertise. The Maker's Mark case is a good example of that: Businesspeople are probably more likely to try a different type of bourbon, especially around happy hour.
iQmetrix is also considering the use of different digital signage types, for our XQ Interactive Retail platform.
"Currently, iQ is dabbling in retail storefront signage, shelf-edge digital signage and POS digital signage, but this infographic displays all the other potential opportunities that we can play in," says Anne Forkutza, XQ User Experience Lead.